Phishing & spam techniques
Despite the fact that phishing is receiving increasing amounts of media coverage, and people are more aware than ever of the threat, the phishing 'business' seems still to be very attractive for fraudsters, and new phishing tricks appear on a regular basis.
Here, we provide descriptions of common and emerging phishing and spam techniques seen in the wild.
- Nigerian (419) scam in an MS Word document (Oct 08)
- Blogspot spam (Feb 08)
- Meta phishing (Feb 08)
- Stock spam PDF (June 07)
- Advanced fee fraud or phishing? (June 07)
- The return of the animated spam (May 07)
- Do 'pump and dump' spam campaigns really work? (March 07)
- 'Mini' phishing (March 07)
- Pay per click (Feb 07)
- Broken link (Feb 07)
- Bye bye OCR? (Feb 07)
A comprehensive listing of more spammers' techniques - including techniques dating back to 2003 - can be found in The Spammers' Compendium.